
I am amazed to find (maybe I shouldn't be "amazed") that my MT in the second grade seems to follow much of what Routman and Fox describe in their books regarding literacy. I have a vivid picture of my MT as I read, doing most all of the things they describe, which is quite comforting. I obviously have a great mentor to follow and am excited to learn much more by actually doing.
What I have seen in the middle school environment doesn't come as close to what I have witnessed in the second grade classroom. The middle school kids have reading and writing workshop type of activities, but the teacher is more removed from the scene when it comes to writing. There are a lot of peer type activities with their writing and little feedback from the teacher. Is this normal in the middle school? But then again, being there only a couple days of week doesn't always allow myself to get a view of the entire picture.
In my personal experience. I have always loved writing, unless I was completely forced to write about something that I just wasn't feeling at the time, which happens in school from time to time. In my schooling, I don't remember a lot of peer type of activities with reading or writing- much of what was done was done solo or with some feedback from the teacher, not like what I have witnessed so far. I wonder if part of this upbringing and experience of writing as a very solo activity has made me a very private writer.
I am very reluctant to share my writing, even making this blog somewhat public was a huge step for me. Writing to me is very personal, a window into my soul. I sometimes think that if I had more experience sharing my writing growing up, then I wouldn't be that way. I'm very excited for children to get positive models of writing and sharing, models that won't hinder their writing experiences as they grow older. Thus, Routman and Fox, and the lessons learned from peers and my MT will be greatly appreciated and treasured in this teaching experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment