Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Week 9- Assessment

The key points that I want to keep in mind while I assess students is the objective of the assessment to begin with and the students secondly. I think it is extremely important for teachers to keep in mind what their objective is while teaching. If most of the students do not get the lesson, then maybe there is something wrong with the lesson and not the student's understanding. I think this is the first and primary step in assessing, before you can even get to any kind of grading, ranking, or evaluation system.

I also believe that an evaluative system is more beneficiary to students' learning, rather than grading, which ranks students in a line of good and not so good learners, something that kids pick up on instantly. I think an evaluative system can be applied to all ages of learners and is probably easier to manage in the lower grades. However, in my dyad, the school has a non-graded system and the students are still very obsessed with ranking themselves. I think this is going to be found across the board, whether you are in a public or private sector of education. Which is why grading needs to not be the main source of evaluation of learning. There are so many other ways to assess learning that doesn't put emphasis on a letter grade that makes children go ranking crazy.

This topic could go on forever. I want to be more diligent in paying close attention to how assessment is done in the field. Now that I have more of an idea on what to look for, I could assess why and how an assessment is being done much more clearly.

No comments: