Sunday, February 7, 2010

Week 6: Classroom libraries

I enjoyed reading about the importance of a classroom library because I believe that having a significant library in your classroom is essential to a student's success in reading, which carries over interdisciplinary.

However, as a new teacher, I'm concerned on how to build such a library. Yes, there is the PTA and fundraisers, but from what I've heard, they'd rather spend the money on other things. With so much classroom money to spend, which I heard varies depending on district and school, a classroom library is limited. I have had dreams and visions of what I want my classroom to look like and it encompasses exactly what Routman discusses. I fear that it will take longer than expected to accomplish because so many variables of teaching are uncertain.

Pertaining to my placement, my MT has a pretty extensive library and had devoted a lot of her own time and money to furnish the hundreds of books and magazines she owns. I would not say that her room and library is very inviting due to lack of color or presentation, but at least she has a good library. Her reading time is essential to her and she makes a point to keep the reading high on her classroom priority.

My MT does have all of her books labeled using the Fontas and Pinnell system of leveling books. I'm assuming this is OK with Routman, but I don't know. I had to stick stickers on those books in all of those tubs for September experience. Is it really worth it to have the books labeled like that? She also has fiction and non-fiction, series, jokes, animals etc. that are not in the A-N tubs.

As Routman declared, the kids pay no attention to the labels, they look for the cover of the book and go from there to select their book. They are taught how to pick a just right book, but that comes after they review the book by it's cover, so are leveling label really that important to the kids' reading success?

No comments: