Sunday, February 7, 2010
Week 5: Comprehension (make-up)
There are similar characteristics between Cooper's chapter and that of Routman's on teaching comprehension. Things like visualizing the words to make more meaning out of the text, determining what's important in the story, asking questions through out the reading, and making predictions. Another commonality is the explicit instruction and how you as a teacher have to model your own thinking out loud to the students.
In my placement, I've heard and seen a couple of these things in action but they've had to go with mini lessons on non-fictional characteristics, specialists books, new things learned, the glossary and index, etc. I don't believe that I've seen this bigger picture of teaching comprehension yet.
In the second grade, the focus is more on reading in particular. I've seen a lot of Routman's work in my classroom, but not in this particular fashion yet. I'm sure it would come later. The lesson that are being taught are coming from a Lucy Caukins (sp?) book, so I'm not sure what the future holds for the second graders. I can visualize these steps and understand their importance, but I would like to see it played out in the classroom, I just haven't seen comprehension as a focus yet.
A fellow cohort member has a great post regarding this same topic. I enjoy reading her insights and questions about this topic.
In my placement, I've heard and seen a couple of these things in action but they've had to go with mini lessons on non-fictional characteristics, specialists books, new things learned, the glossary and index, etc. I don't believe that I've seen this bigger picture of teaching comprehension yet.
In the second grade, the focus is more on reading in particular. I've seen a lot of Routman's work in my classroom, but not in this particular fashion yet. I'm sure it would come later. The lesson that are being taught are coming from a Lucy Caukins (sp?) book, so I'm not sure what the future holds for the second graders. I can visualize these steps and understand their importance, but I would like to see it played out in the classroom, I just haven't seen comprehension as a focus yet.
A fellow cohort member has a great post regarding this same topic. I enjoy reading her insights and questions about this topic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment