Wednesday, April 8, 2009

assignment 2- What is the most engaging thing you've seen in the classroom?

I have not procrastinated on this assignment because I like the feeling of procrastination, but because I've really wanted to take this time to consider whether or not I've seen and recognized engaging things in the classroom. My mind has drawn (several) blanks, which led me to question why wasn't this easier for me to come up with a solid example? I've spent many hours in the classroom (mostly kindergarten) in what is said to be one of the "best" districts. So why did I draw the blank? I know I had to have seen some amazing things (or I wouldn't have the desire to teach still). My conclusion is that maybe most of what I witnessed was wrapped so tightly around the everyday tasks that I just didn't slow down to recognize certain instances.

The kindergarten classroom is busy; that's an understatement! It's task after task and I often left with a headache, but just loved the action! I can say that those kids were really engaged because they were active in their education. Things were hands on, verbal, and moving around in all aspects of the flurry. The kindergartners loved everything, they just didn't have the attention span to offer "ah ha" moments all the time that are really concrete in example. They were little sponges trying to soak up so much information, it's a wonder that they didn't leave the day with a headache from all of the information they were trying to absorb! In essence, everyday was an engaging moment with them because their eyes were full of wonder and excitement. I just don't have a very concrete example of the "most engaging thing I've ever seen in a classroom" because it was everyday, all day.

I spent a lot of time with a teacher who allowed me to experience the everyday joys and hassles of her busy little room. I was constantly in the mix of what was happening instead of sitting down on the sidelines observing attentively. What I witnessed everyday was the level of joy and excitement the teacher brought to her classroom and students everyday, regardless if she was tired, hungry, or had a headache from the noise and activity. The classroom was a synergistic environment: the attitudes of the adults reflected the level of wonder, curiosity, and engagement of the students. Great things, great achievements happened everyday in all of the "mundane" tasks that go on throughout the school day. I was, and still am, amazed at the level of activity and engagement of the kindergartners!

No comments: