Monday, September 14, 2009
BEDUC 406- Daily Blog: 9/14/09
Monday- a busy day in second grade! Things I've noticed...
1) Their attention spans are really short. Losing them is going to happen. My master teacher seemed to have a harder time today reining them in a few times. I attribute this to them getting more comfortable with each other and the classroom.
2) There are a couple of kids who have a difficult time completing any task, especially math and writing. I'm wondering why: considering many possibilities, but assessments have just begun so I don't know much about the kids academically. At least not on paper like dibels or something.
3) TIME! There is no time in the day for everything that my master teacher wants to do. I feel like telling her maybe she has too much planned and she might want to concentrate on doing what Robin said...give them 50% of the plan at 100%. My master teacher is working hard, I see that for sure. Transitions are rushed. Don't even think about going to the bathroom and don't even think about eating all of your lunch. Today may have been different because there was no specialist so there was essentially no planning time. Lunch time was it.
4) I feel like I have no time to sit down and discuss things with my master teacher. She has no extra time! I feel like I'm bothering her when we get there in the morning and I have questions as she's trying to plan and read through the new curriculum etc. what is the best way to establish a smooth routine for one on one, without feeling like a menace?
5) Being an observer is hard. I want to jump in there and do something...feel useful. What should I be doing right now? Some people talk about getting their kids form here or there, taking them here or there, reading to them etc. I'm not doing that...what is normal right now?
6) I'm liking it, just feeling a little unsure about what to do.
1) Their attention spans are really short. Losing them is going to happen. My master teacher seemed to have a harder time today reining them in a few times. I attribute this to them getting more comfortable with each other and the classroom.
2) There are a couple of kids who have a difficult time completing any task, especially math and writing. I'm wondering why: considering many possibilities, but assessments have just begun so I don't know much about the kids academically. At least not on paper like dibels or something.
3) TIME! There is no time in the day for everything that my master teacher wants to do. I feel like telling her maybe she has too much planned and she might want to concentrate on doing what Robin said...give them 50% of the plan at 100%. My master teacher is working hard, I see that for sure. Transitions are rushed. Don't even think about going to the bathroom and don't even think about eating all of your lunch. Today may have been different because there was no specialist so there was essentially no planning time. Lunch time was it.
4) I feel like I have no time to sit down and discuss things with my master teacher. She has no extra time! I feel like I'm bothering her when we get there in the morning and I have questions as she's trying to plan and read through the new curriculum etc. what is the best way to establish a smooth routine for one on one, without feeling like a menace?
5) Being an observer is hard. I want to jump in there and do something...feel useful. What should I be doing right now? Some people talk about getting their kids form here or there, taking them here or there, reading to them etc. I'm not doing that...what is normal right now?
6) I'm liking it, just feeling a little unsure about what to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment