Sunday, September 13, 2009
BEDUC 406 RE: Friday 9/11/06
It was kind of funny, during Friday's class, all I could think about was the classroom: what they were doing, how things were going. Well, I guess it wasn't all I could think about because the class conversation was still interesting!
One thing that I learned was to be over prepared, for the lesson plan and for the kids. That is, to anticipate their moves before they make them. For example, when Robin talked about grouping kids. She would have different animals and of different color; to group either by animal or color, and not tell the kids how it will be done ahead of time. I knew this, but didn't at the same time...not until the context was put with the idea did it make so much sense! And I could remember times when I tried to figure out the same thing with my friends in school...it never worked because the teacher was always one step ahead!
At this point, I don't really have any questions, at least none that are to the point and direct. Questions are more rhetorical in fashion, like how do you keep ahead? However, to answer my own questions, I would imagine as a teacher you just keep asking yourself questions. Like, if I did this, what could they possible do and brainstorm it yourself. My master teacher is always talking aloud...I just feel that the many questions I do have, I can't really articulate at the moment because I have to DO what it is that I am wondering. I hope that makes sense.
Thirdly, I am anxious about the same stuff. I just feel nervous about getting in there and doing what it is that I need to do. My old boss reminded me not too long ago that I felt the same way when I scheduled a patients surgery for the first time by myself. She told me that I did great and soon became one of the best surgery schedulers in a short amount of time as I gained the confidence. I realize...more blatantly, that I could only be confident after doing. Grateful for her reminder, I think I am trying to apply this knowledge of myself to my nervousness about teaching. I've done some pretty difficult things in my life...and survived to tell about it. I'm just trying to think confidently...it will come. I just have to roll up my sleeves and get dirty! :o)
One thing that I learned was to be over prepared, for the lesson plan and for the kids. That is, to anticipate their moves before they make them. For example, when Robin talked about grouping kids. She would have different animals and of different color; to group either by animal or color, and not tell the kids how it will be done ahead of time. I knew this, but didn't at the same time...not until the context was put with the idea did it make so much sense! And I could remember times when I tried to figure out the same thing with my friends in school...it never worked because the teacher was always one step ahead!
At this point, I don't really have any questions, at least none that are to the point and direct. Questions are more rhetorical in fashion, like how do you keep ahead? However, to answer my own questions, I would imagine as a teacher you just keep asking yourself questions. Like, if I did this, what could they possible do and brainstorm it yourself. My master teacher is always talking aloud...I just feel that the many questions I do have, I can't really articulate at the moment because I have to DO what it is that I am wondering. I hope that makes sense.
Thirdly, I am anxious about the same stuff. I just feel nervous about getting in there and doing what it is that I need to do. My old boss reminded me not too long ago that I felt the same way when I scheduled a patients surgery for the first time by myself. She told me that I did great and soon became one of the best surgery schedulers in a short amount of time as I gained the confidence. I realize...more blatantly, that I could only be confident after doing. Grateful for her reminder, I think I am trying to apply this knowledge of myself to my nervousness about teaching. I've done some pretty difficult things in my life...and survived to tell about it. I'm just trying to think confidently...it will come. I just have to roll up my sleeves and get dirty! :o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment